tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Haunting a fun take on ghost stories

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl: Book One - Paige McKenzie, Alyssa B. Sheinmel

A solid read. I enjoyed McKenzie's take on the haunted house convention. A few things that kept this book from getting a higher rating were that I wish Sunshine had been a bit more proactive. And I felt they story fought the mythology of mentorship with the mentor's distance/lack of involvement. It just seemed that if Sunshine had such a vital role to play, then perhaps they'd take her in hand sooner? The final thing, and this is really a personal pet peeve, is if you're going to say something is X meets Y, then lets see it. The Gilmore Girls reference in the book synopsis, for me, didn't play out in any way beyond the fact of a strong mother daughter relationship. The humour, the fast pace, the essential tone of that show isn't part of the book. I kept waiting for that aspect to manifest itself and so I was unable to fully get immersed in the story.

Thank you to Weinstein Books and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.