tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

A beautiful Bollywood Affair

A Bollywood Affair - Sonali Dev

I was in such a bad reading slump that I couldn't even make eye contact with my Kindle because I felt like all the half-read books on it were glaring at me for not finishing them. But nothing held my attention. Then in the space of a few hours, I discovered and read this book. Colours seemed brighter, my heart felt lighter - this beautiful, sumptuous romance made me so very happy. Start with a great premise, Mili, married at 4 in a small Indian village, hasn't seen her husband in 20 years. But that hasn't stopped her from being 100% committed to this marriage and the hope that eventually he'll come for her. She pawns her dowery jewelry so that she can further her education in the US.

And that's where her brother-in-law Samir finds her, hell bent on getting her to sign annulment papers. There was something magical about this romance, about each tiny step in Mili and Samir's developing friendship, made all the more fragile and heart-stopping by the secrets between them. I flat out loved it. There was no sentimentality, just genuine, raw beautifully realized and flawed humans daring to hope for more than their pasts had dealt them.