tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

This book got me thinking a lot about laughing vs crying books. I think that funny books are perhaps a more subjective thing. I know that I've definitely found myself the only person laughing at times. But crying? Perhaps there is a common zeitgeist. Books that are triggers and find themselves spreading like wildfire. For all the right reasons, Me Before You, is one of them.

Don't let the cover fool you. This isn't a "fluffy chick-lit" book, nor is it a romance. At it's heart it's about two people living small, constrained lives for very different reasons. With Lou, it's by choice for a number of reasons. For Will, an accident left him a quadriplegic. Definitely not a choice for this former adventure traveller and live life kind of guy. The story becomes the change that each exerts on the other, with a really interesting through-line discourse about controversial subject. I'm thrilled that events play out as they do. I think to do otherwise would have undermined the ultimate message of the book. And in case you're getting worried that it's in any way preachy - don't. It's heartfelt, and funny. Moyes hits, for me, all the right notes with this story. My only bump was that there were a few chapters from different character POV's that I really didn't need. Other than that, so so satisfying.