tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Brilliant YA retelling of Dickens

Tell the Wind and Fire - Sarah Rees Brennan

Dazzled. That's the word that sums up my experience of this story. A fitting word given the rich and complex mythology surrounding these two cities - that of Dark and Light New York, both magical worlds with shadowy underbellies.

Reading the beginning of this book was a bit like when I read another fav of mine, Jellicoe Road. It takes a while to get all the answers and understand what's going on in this world (though nowhere near to the extent of JR.) I really enjoyed letting this world and this story unfold. I haven't read anything using this particular mythology (not the magic, the other thing regarding Carwyn which I'm not going to spoil) but I was hooked from the start.

For a story about dark and light cities, everything about the tale plays with shades of grey. People, agendas may fool us at first, seeming one way or the other, but ultimately, everything requires its opposite to exist. Everything requires balance as evidenced by our main character Lucie known as the Golden Thread in the Dark - the girl of two worlds, frozen and desperately walking a tightrope of middle ground in her efforts to remain safe. But as events unfold and Lucie finds herself caught between two guys (and not in the annoying typical love triangle way that drives me nuts) that balance becomes a much more precarious concept.

Thank you to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review. And when this book releases on April 5, I expect you all to run out and grab it.