tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Between You and Me - Emma McLaughlin, Nicola Kraus I'm really conflicted about this book. On the one hand, it's well written - great pacing, the story sucked me in. On the other, I felt like it was a a few hundred pages of bullying.The story is basically a Britney Spears tale - beloved teen pop star Kelsey with dysfunctional family unravels into adulthood. Except the protagonist is actually her cousin who comes to work for her. Given the family dynamics, I found it hard to understand a) why she went to work for Kelsey b) why she doesn't establish boundaries and c) why she continues to put up with Kelsey's horrible horrible parents.There's also a whole plot about a certain incident the main character had experienced years before that when finally revealed was pretty underwhelming. I understand that when people have that level of celebrity there are a lot of things in play to keep the machine and the money flowing, regardless of the cost to the star. But I just wanted one person to act like a normal, human being instead of a monster or a victim.Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Netgalley for a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.