tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Lover at Last - J.R. Ward I picked up Dark Lover soon after it had come out, not knowing anything about it and found myself hooked on the BDB series. What I really loved was that not only did each book have a satisfying self-contained romance, but in terms of the overarching battle, it was plotted out quite cinematically. And as long as I ignored the annoying as F names of the characters, it was all good.About book 5 or 7, the overall battle jumped the shark for me and started spinning into random minion territory. But it was okay because I was still on board with the romances.Then that started to go downhill for me until by book 10, I was skimming the story, even bothering to turn the pages at all for one reason and one reason only - Blay and Qhuinn. Damn, was I entrenched in their story. So when it was announced that they would be getting not just a novella but a full length novel of their own, Holy Hannah! I was so happy.And it was with great excitement that I sat down to finally read Lover At Last. Problem the first: Qhuinn wearing Ed Hardy. Seriously? Problem the second: waaay too many other storylines that I failed to give a damn about. It felt like Blay and Qhuinn really did get a novella after all because of everyone else crowding them out for page time. And their actual story? Not bad. There was some steam, some lovely angst but the ending to me felt rushed. Very anti-climatic. I wanted that deep sense of satisfaction and HEA bliss but it never came. So I'm done with this series.