tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Out of My Mind - Sharon M. Draper I read a lot of YA but I tend to stick to books with some element of sci-fi, fantasy or romance. This book has none of that and I can't recommend it enough for readers of all ages. It's about Melody - can't talk, can't walk, presumed by most of the world to be "retarded". In actuality a girl of incredible intelligence, eloquence and great depth of feeling. In a world where I feel like I am constantly rushing around and making quick judgments about people based on superficial and fast interactions, this book was a reminder that ALL of us have so much more depth and complexity to us than is usually perceived and to just keep an open mind. Will I probably still dislike most people because I'm crotchety? Sure. But hopefully, I'll have at least tried to get a truer impression of who that person really is before I dismiss them.All kidding aside, read this book. And let's stop making assumptions about each other but especially about those people facing various challenges. Everyone deserves to be properly seen.