tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

The Darkest Minds is all kinds of fabulous!

The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken

When you love YA as much as I do, it can be very handy to have a 12 yr old reader girl with reader girl friends. My daughter's best friend had actually been trying to get me to read this for a while. I finally did - not sure what my hesitation was. But oh man, this was a 1 sitting read!

I'm kind of tired of dystopians to tell you the truth. But Bracken found a way in to the world with her economic collapse and kids manifesting paranormal abilities that had me intrigued from the start. What really clinched it though, were the characters. First and foremost, Ruby was a girl I could get behind. She straddled a believable line between smart, capable and broken by outside forces. And yet, she never came off as a victim.

Then there is the motley crew of fabulousness who she teams up with - Liam, Zu and Chubs (who I think may be my fav of the bunch). They are each so real, funny and vulnerable.

Plot-wise the book has the requisite twists and turns with a cliffhanger that I would have thought would be a book two "all is lost" kind of beat. The fact that it came at the end of book one can only mean that Bracken will be taking us deeper, darker and further into this story in book two than I could have hoped. Yay!

A fabulous read!