tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Pashazade an excellent sci-fi/mystery

Pashazade - Jon Courtenay Grimwood

A sci-fi mystery set in a world almost, but not quite like ours. Grimwood's writing is so evocative. I could picture the garish faded allure of the free city El Iskandriyah (aka our Alexandria) and its corrupt, now-rotting foundation, all blasted by the unforgiving heat of North Africa. Our hero is the genetically modified, drug taking Raf, a reinvented man who has been brought to El Isk because of a new found status and a newly acquired alliance. Each of which bring him mountains of trouble.

I actually read the second book in this series first and couldn't wait to go back and start at the beginning. Having Raf's backstory in book one, really fills out his character in the subsequent book - I'd been finding him a bit of an enigma, but that was because I read it out of order. All the characters, from young Hani, to his jilted bride Zara and her family, sucked me in and and made me want to know more about them. Then there's the added element of this compelling alternate world: an interesting tension of hedonism and traditionalism, Islamic, and tech heavy.

While murder fuels each book, the trilogy (at least based on the first two books) is really an epic tapestry, anchored by the lives of these characters we're swept into. The excitement I felt for this was similar to when I picked up my first Gibson novel way back when Neuromancer was first released. Great read.