tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Golden House is Golden

The Golden House: A Novel - Salman Rushdie

This is some serious, epic Greek tragedy. At its heart is the question of “Can a man be both good and evil?” and yet it is also about the role of the storyteller and the unmasking of America. As always, his wordplay is a twisty, tangled delight, filled with a myriad of literary and cinematic references that gladdened the heart of this lifelong reader girl and degree holder of a Masters in Film Theory.

This is a long book, over the top in many ways, but so so clever. I was totally caught up in the lives of the Golden family – Nero and his three sons all cloaked in mystery that the intrepid Réné is hellbent on unraveling for his own artistic pursuits. And so, the narrator becomes part of the story.

And Rushdie’s commentary on American politics was brilliant. I suspect this book will earn him as many enemies as fans, but I adored it.

Thank you to Random House and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.