tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Another case of less would be more

Sunset (Pact Arcanum) - Arshad Ahsanuddin

Well, I may be the odd one out on my feelings about this book. I was excited to read it - I haven't read many m/m sci fi novels and the ones that I have were not done particularly well. It started off strong. The writing is good. But I quickly became exhausted by the sheer number of characters, flashbacks giving us full explanations of things that didn't require more than a passing line of dialogue, and no sense of what exactly the plot was working toward. I know this is the first book in a series, but even so, I prefer a strong A-plot goal.

There was so much world building, so many characters, so much magic and various races that all had to be explained in well-written yet exhausting detail. I could have done with a third less book in this case.

The other thing was the use of the "magic vagina." Or in this case, the "magic penis." You know, when the protagonist has everyone lusting after them. I give the author props for having it be a guy, this time being lusted after by most of the men whose path he crossed, but still. I liked Nick but the insights I was given into his character were definitely not enough to justify his amazingness. Maybe some of that could have been addressed if I'd felt there was something specific he was striving for. Or perhaps less soapy relationships. I'm not sure.

All I know, is by the end, I was skimming my way through, wanting it all to be over.