tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Love Lex leaves me wanting a brain scrub

Love, Lex: (The Undergrad Years #1) New Adult Contemporary Romance - Avery Aster

I had to DNF this book.

When I saw the synopsis, promising me a funny, sexy NA read, I was excited. What a refreshing change from all the broken victim girl stories I keep stumbling across. And I do love me funny sexytimes. However, just pages in, I was having difficulty with the story.

There was a lot of info dump, telling me stuff instead of showing me this character in action. I didn't particularly enjoy her voice, finding her annoying, and the world, rather than being glitzy for me, was simply arch and superficial. I had pretty much decided early into pages that this was not the book for me. However, I wanted to be fair and give it a bit more of a shot.

Basically, I'd read through how Lex, apparently a fat troublemaker and daughter of two rock stars, caught her addict mom sleeping with her DB boyfriend. I think that's chapter one. I then moved on to the meeting with the hot guy - the cop that pulls her over and Lex's subsequent fantasy on meeting him.

And that's when things really screeched to a stop for me. First off, let me say, Lex is 17, about to be 18. In age, tone and voice, she read as YA not NA. I have no problem with sex in YA books. Teens think about sex, they have sex, moving on. But her fantasy was written in language lifted out of erotica. You want to go there? Age her up. It was too jarring for me. And more than that, felt completely unbelievable. There for shock or because YA/NA is hot or something.

Regardless, combined with how annoying I found the MC, I knew I would not be continuing with this story.

Thank you to Avery Aster Inc. and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.