tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Never Fade a smidge less fabulous than book one

Never Fade - Alexandra Bracken

Book two in the Darkest Minds series certainly starts off with a bang. Despite Ruby's previous experiences, she has lost even more of her innocence. Wisdom and experience have made her hard. Or, well, harder. Once again, Bracken totally sucked me into the world. It was every bit as imaginative and action packed as book one, with the same heart and wit.

I really enjoyed the new characters introduced like Vida and Judith, as well as getting to see more of Cole. Those Stewart brothers fascinate me. So why only four stars? Well, about halfway through the story, the hmm, shall I call it noble self-sacrificing actions, especially on Ruby's part really started to grate on my nerves. She kept ignoring her "inner voice", all of which began to smack of martyrdom for me. I just wanted to shake her and tell her to smarten up. Although, that's probably just the path she needs to take.

Despite the amping up of action in the back half as well, I lost a bit of my emotional connection to the story. The big "OMG" moment, left me shrugging, not crying. And I know, had it involved book one characters, that would not have been the case.

However, I'm still totally onboard with the series and can't wait for book three. Really, this is why I should never start series until they're completely published. I hate waiting. But we all know that's never going to happen.