tellulahdarling

Tellulah Darling

Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?

Frozen leaves me cold

Frozen - Melissa de la Cruz

There was a lot of potential here. I was excited to see how the idea of New Vegas and these cardsharks played out. Well, we barely stayed in New Vegas at all before hitting the road, and the cardshark aspect could have been any random gambling skill. But beyond that, there just didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason for anything. Sometimes our protagonist could tap into her powers, sometimes she couldn't. Or wouldn't. But even her wanting to never seemed tied to her emotions around a situation. We've got a world covered in ice, which was cool but there was still an InterNet-esque celebrity culture - although no new ideas. For some reason, only cover versions and ancient books. Not because they'd been banned but because, well, I don't know why? Giant ice covering the planet made everyone stop being creative? The creatures were a mishmash with no clear overarching mythology. And the love story was painfully predictable with a lot of dead/not dead going on. I stopped caring and started skimming. Too bad.

Thank you to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.